Looking for a quick new project and love to help others at the same time? We are sponsoring a mitten drive for school-age children and would love your help with this fun and super quick project! We are working with Kaylee's Closest
in Franklin to make and distribute mittens to the school-age kids in the surrounding area during the winter months.
Kaylee's Closest serves foster families in Macon and surrounding counties. In addition to providing mittens to foster families, the mittens are placed on buses and are available for all kids to take as needed.
How to help?
- We have free kits in the shop with a pattern, template, and fleece to make 1 pair of mittens. Grab a kit, take it home, make the mittens, and then return the finished mittens to the shop.
- Download this free pattern and use your own fleece (see other fabric suggestions below) to make one or more pair of mittens.
- If you don't have time to sew, bring us your clean, smoke-free, fleece and we will find volunteers to sew the mittens.
- Hats and muffs also accepted.
- Acceptable fabrics: fleece, wool, upcycled wool blankets or wool sweaters, sherpa, and leather.
Mittens accepted anytime, but we would love to get our first delivery to Kaylee's closest by mid- to late- September so they can get the mittens ready for distribution before our first frost date in mid-October.
Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks so much for your help!